English as a Second Language Placement Exam (ESLPE)
Who needs to take the ESLPE?
There are two populations of students who might need to demonstrate their academic writing proficiency in English by taking the ESLPE:
When should I take the ESLPE?
If you are required to take the ESLPE, you should do so before your 1st quarter. First, this requirement is designed to identify and address the advanced-level academic writing skills you need to succeed at UCLA. In addition, if you delay this requirement, you risk not graduating on time with your cohort.
Upcoming 2023-24 ESLPE Test Dates
- October 12-13, Pacific Time
- October 26-27, Pacific Time
Note that each administration spans a 48-hour period, during which the test-taker will login for an hour (60 minutes) to complete the exam.
How do I register for the ESLPE?
- Registration for each administration closes two weeks before its corresponding start date.
- Remember the exam time and date for which you registered.
- If you need to change your selected exam window, re-visit the registration form to update that information.
If you are deferring the start of your program at UCLA, you may wait to take the ESLPE until the quarter that you matriculate. The exam will be held online before every quarter. If you choose to take the ESLPE now and then decide to defer your admission, please note that you will NOT be able to re-take the exam when you matriculate.
The ESLPE is administered online. You will access the exam through Canvas/Bruin Learn, our learning management system, and be proctored via Respondus Lockdown Browser. Information, including directions for installing and testing Respondus Lockdown Browser on your computer, will be emailed to you at least two weeks before the start of your exam window. A computer with a webcam and audio capacity is required for the exam; however, the actual exam only includes reading and writing.
There is no examination fee for the ESLPE.
How should I prepare for the ESLPE?
Reading in English is always a great way to internalize the structure of the language and help you remember vocabulary to use in writing.
Who do I contact if I have questions about the ESLPE?
How will I access the online exam?
Two weeks before the exam window opens, we will email everyone who registered the directions for installing and testing Respondus Lockdown Browser on your computer. You will then have until one week prior to the exam window opening to complete the Respondus Lockdown Browser practice task on BruinLearn. During these weeks leading up to the exam window, make sure to check your email regularly for emails related to the exam.
For technology issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, which responds Monday-Friday. For general questions regarding the exam, or if you have waited beyond 24 hours for a response from Bruin Learn Support, please email ESLPE Coordinator, Leslie Sherwood at email@example.com.
Each exam administration spans one 48-hour window, during which time you will login to BruinLearn and, proctored by Respondus Lockdown Browser, complete the exam during a one hour (60 minute) period of your choice. If you encounter any technical issues during the exam that prevent you from completing it, you will need to re-register for another exam administration window.
What do I need in order to take the exam online?
You will need your Bruincard or photo ID and access to a computer with a camera, audio capacity, an internet connection, and a keyboard.
What if I missed the ESLPE window I registered for?
You will need to wait until the next exam. We do not offer individual administrations of the exam.
How long is the exam and what will I have to do?
You will have 60 minutes to write a well-organized academic essay in response to a very short reading passage and essay prompt. You may not consult outside sources or other individuals during the exam. If it appears that you have plagiarized in any way, your essay will be turned over to the Dean of Students, who will investigate the matter.
What are the possible placement results of the ESLPE?
- Pass/Exempt Score: You have satisfied the writing requirement and no further action is needed.
- For international graduate students:
- Placement into ESL 300: This means you are required to take two courses, ESL 300 and ESL 301, in order to graduate. You may not take these courses concurrently so you will need at least 2 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into ESL 301: This means you are required to take one course only, ESL 301, in order to graduate.
- For multilingual transfer students:
- Placement into English Composition 1A: this means you are required to take 3 courses, EC 1A, EC 1B, and EC 2i. You may not take these 3 courses concurrently so you will need at least 3 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into English Composition 1B: this means you are required to take 2 courses, EC 1B, and EC 2i. You may not take these 2 courses concurrently so you will need at least 2 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into English Composition 2i: this means you are required to take 1 course only, EC 2i in order to graduate.
How will I receive my placement results?
You will receive an email 1-2 weeks after the test. In the email, we will tell you your placement results (as explained above). Your placement will also be posted on the ESLPE Bruin Learn website.
Can I retake the ESLPE if I don’t do well?
No, you are only permitted to take the ESLPE once.