English as a Second Language Placement Exam (ESLPE)
*****NOTE: The ESLPE is Currently Online Due to COVID-19*****
Who needs to take the ESLPE?
There are two populations of students who might need to demonstrate their academic writing proficiency in English by taking the ESLPE:
When should I take the ESLPE?
If you are required to take the ESLPE, you should do so before or during your 1st quarter. First, this requirement is designed to identify and address the advanced-level academic writing skills you need to succeed at UCLA. In addition, if you delay this requirement, you risk not graduating on time with your cohort.
Upcoming 2021–2022 Exam Dates
- Feb 4, Fri (Week 5), 9am
Feb 25, Fri (Week 8), 4pm
- June 13, Mon (Week after finals), 9am
How do I register for the ESLPE?
The ESLPE is offered throughout the year, especially in the summer, and in fall and winter quarters. Please click here to register for the exam.
- You may not show up to the exam without registering first.
- Remember the exam time and date for which you registered.
- If you need to change your day, just register again.
If you are deferring the start of your program at UCLA because of COVID-19, you may wait to take the ESLPE until the quarter that you matriculate. The exam will be held online before every quarter. If you choose to take the ESLPE now and then decide to defer your admission, please note that you will NOT be able to re-take the exam when you matriculate.
All 2021-22 ESLPE sessions will be held online. You will access the exam through Canvas/Bruin Learn, our learning management system, and be proctored via Zoom. You will receive the necessary links before the exam that you’ve registered for.
How should I prepare for the ESLPE?
Reading in English is always a great way to internalize the structure of the language and help you remember vocabulary to use in writing.
Who do I contact if I have questions about the ESLPE?
How will I access the online exam?
Shortly before the exam, we will email everyone who registered with a link to both Canvas/Bruin Learn (where you will read and submit your exam) and Zoom (where you will be proctored). Make sure you use an email that you regularly check to register on this site.
What do I need in order to take the exam online?
You will need your Bruincard or photo ID, your ID number (if you don’t have your Bruincard yet), and access to a computer with a camera, an internet connection, and a keyboard.
What if I missed the ESLPE exam date?
You will need to wait until the next exam. We do not offer individual administrations of the exam.
How long is the exam and what will I have to do?
You will have 60 minutes to write a well-organized academic essay in response to a very short reading passage and essay prompt. You may not consult outside sources or other individuals during the exam. If it appears that you have plagiarized in any way, your essay will be turned over to the Dean of Students, who will investigate the matter.
What are the possible placement results of the ESLPE?
- Pass/Exempt Score: You have satisfied the writing requirement and no further action is needed.
- For international graduate students:
- Placement into ESL 300: This means you are required to take two courses, ESL 300 and ESL 301, in order to graduate. You may not take these courses concurrently so you will need at least 2 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into ESL 301: This means you are required to take one course only, ESL 301, in order to graduate.
- For multilingual transfer students:
- Placement into English Composition 1A: this means you are required to take 3 courses, EC 1A, EC 1B, and EC 2i. You may not take these 3 courses concurrently so you will need at least 3 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into English Composition 1B: this means you are required to take 2 courses, EC 1B, and EC 2i. You may not take these 2 courses concurrently so you will need at least 2 quarters to complete the requirement.
- Placement into English Composition 2i: this means you are required to take 1 course only, EC 2i in order to graduate.
How will I receive my placement results?
You will receive an email 1-2 weeks after the test. (Please put ‘eventbrite’ in your contacts list so that the email does not go into your spam filter.) In the email, we will tell you your placement results (as explained above).
Can I retake the ESLPE if I don’t do well?
No, you are only permitted to take the ESLPE once.