ANALYTICAL WRITING PLACEMENT EXAM
REGISTER AND PAY
You must register and pay before the exam
Register here for AWPE
Pay here with a credit card
Print out your receipt and BRING it to the exam.
Students without a credit card should contact the Writing Programs Office. To find out how to pay,
Email Tara Contreras at firstname.lastname@example.org
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EXAM
- Register and Pay.
- Bring: UCLA student identification card, receipt of payment, and pens (no pencils).
- Location is subject to change. Check the AWPE Exam Schedule site on the day of the exam.
When: You find out your placement about a week before enrollment in the next quarter begins.
Where: You find out your placement by looking at your DARS screen in the Writing area.
ELIGIBILITY: WHO SHOULD TAKE THE EXAM
You take the AWPE if you entered UCLA as a Freshman (no matter where you come from).
You take the AWPE if you haven’t satisfied the Entry-Level Writing Requirement in these ways:
- scoring 680 or better on the Writing Section of the new SAT exam first administered in March 2005 OR
- scoring 30 or higher on the combined English/Writing Section of the American College Testing (ACT) Assessment OR
- scoring 3, 4, or 5 on one of the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations in English OR
- scoring a 5 or above on the International Baccalaureate’s Higher Level English A1 Examination OR
- scoring a 6 or above on the International Baccalaureate’s Standard Level English A1 Examination OR
- presenting transfer credit for an acceptable college-level course in English composition (passed with a grade of C or better) at another institution OR
- passing the University of California Analytical Writing Placement Examination (AWPE).
Questions? Contact the Writing Programs Office.