Who needs to take the ESLPE?
All international graduate students must take the ESLPE unless:
- They entered UCLA with a score of 100 or above on the TOEFL iBT or at least a 7.5 overall band score on the IELTS exam. (revised ESLPE policy, effective Fall 2015).
- They hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from a university located in the U.S. or another country in which English is the primary language.
For further details, see the UCLA General Catalog (scroll down to International Applicants–Proficiency in English):
Some undergraduate transfer students may be required to take the ESLPE, primarily:
- Those who have not satisfied IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum):
- Those held at the discretion of Undergraduate Admissions.
The ESLPE is offered throughout the year, especially at the beginning of fall and winter quarters. Please click on this link to register for the next testing dates.
- You may not show up to the exam without registering first
- Remember the exam time and date for which you registered.
- If you need to change your time, just register again.
If you have questions, please contact Writing Programs Office in Humanities 146: